Are you visiting London this summer? Or are you a local looking for the best that your city has to offer now the sun is (finally) out? Well, luckily for you, I’ve handpicked the best of everything the UK capital has to offer over the next couple of months. From Peaches’ new variety show to my Lipsync1000 grand finale performance (!!!), there are so many fabulous things to do in London this summer.
So, when does summer start this year? Most people in the UK go by the astronomical seasons, which change slightly every year. This really surprised me when I first moved to London as I was used to the very structured meteorological seasons that set summer in the Northern Hemisphere as 1st June – 31st August every year. However, having lived now lived here for over a decade, the astronomical seasons definitely make more sense and this year the summer season in London will run from Friday 21st June to Monday 23rd September 2019.
Summer in London is usually a dreamy escape from nine months of cold and rain. The sun comes out and all the green spaces around the city suddenly become filled with people lazing around in its glow. There are so many things to do during these few short months that the weeks just fly by. There is an incredible array of festivals, outdoor cinemas and parties to enjoy. So pull on your short shorts and make the most of the season with these fabulous sunny things to do in London.
Fabulous things to do in London this July
Lipsync1000 Grand Final
After 10 weeks of epic lipsync battles at The Glory, the grand final takes place in July – and I’m in it! Yes, I’ll be competing against 19 of London freshest divas for the crown and the chance to win £1,000. Come along and cheer me on.
📅 10 July 2019
📍Clapham Grand, The Grand, 21-25 St John’s Hill, London SW11 1TT
Crystal Rasmussen Presents the Bible 2 (Plus a Cure for Shame, Violence, Betrayal and Athlete’s Foot) Live!
If you’ve read Crystal Rasmussen’s incredible book, Diary of a Drag Queen, then you will know why I am so crazy excited to see this show. If you haven’t read her book yet, then get your hands on a copy now.
📅 24-25 July 2019
📍Soho Theatre, 21 Dean St, Soho, London W1D 3NE
Night of 1000 K.D. Langs
If you’ve been having constant cravings for the Canadian crooner, then get your ass along to the Butch Please! party at the RVT. Style your hair into some floppy 90s fringe – or even rock a Stetson – to dress up as your favourite version of KD for this one of a kind party.
📅 25 July 2019
📍Royal Vauxhall Tavern, 372 Kennington Lane, Lambeth, London SE11 5HY
Fabulous things to do in London this August
Little Gay Brother free party
One of London’s best queer parties, Little Gay Brother, is throwing one hell of a free party at the Royal Festival Hall’s Riverside Terrace this summer. Catch the disco vibes of their show plus DJs like Jonathan Bestley and Maze & Masters in the sunshine at this outdoor party.
📅 2 August 2019
📍Riverside Terrace, Level 2, Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Rd, Lambeth, London SE1 8XX
Matthew Bourne’s Romeo + Juliet
As a queer kid in the 90s, I was obsessed with Mathew Bourne’s groundbreaking version of Swan Lake. Long before the days of YouTube, I had a copy of the ballet on VHS tape that was one of my most treasured possessions. So I am really excited to see his latest production, a ‘passionate reimagining’ of Romeo and Juliet.
📅 7-31 August 2019
📍Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Rosebery Ave, Clerkenwell, London EC1R 4TN
There’s Only One Peach with the Hole in the Middle
Peaches is coming back to London with her epic ‘variety-style futuristic stage happening’ involving over 40 musicians and performers. Amazingly, the show is inspired by the 70s variety shows of legends like Bette Midler and Liza Minnelli, so this promises to be one amazing evening.
📅 28 August 2019
📍Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Rd, Lambeth, London SE1 8XX
Fabulous things to do in London this September
London Trans+ Intersex Pride 2019
One of the most important events happening in London this summer is the first official London Trans+ Intersex Pride! This completely grassroots DIY event will focus on creating a space for London’s trans, non-binary, intersex and gender nonconforming community and feature talks, discussions and performances. More info should become available closer to the date so make sure you check out their event page below.
📅 14 September 2019
📍Hackney – venue TBC
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in Concert
Potter fans – this one is for you. Imagine watching the original film on a 40-foot high screen, accompanied by a live orchestra? This is now an actual thing you can experience, as your favourite wizarding world will be appearing at the Royal Festival Hall with the Czech National Symphony Orchestra performing all the music.
📅 17-18 September 2019
📍Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Rd, Lambeth, London SE1 8XX
Fabulous Pride in London parties
- The Glory River Stage 2019 @ National Theatre
Thursday 4 July
- NITE DYKEZ 007 Pride Special @ Dalston Superstore
Friday 5 July
- Miss Craig’s Pre-Pride-PReP! @ Karaoke Hole
- Hungama: PRIDE PARTY @ Dalston Superstore
- Knickerbocker is Proud of ya @ The Yard
- Queer @ Paper Dress Vintage
Saturday 6 July
- Sink The Pink: Icons Ball ft. Melanie C @ The Troxy
- Classic X Horse Meat Disco Pride Dance Party w/ Honey Dijon @ E1 London
- Chateau PRIDE <3 @ The Chateau
- Little Gay Brother’s Queer Carnival @ Flat Iron Square
- Queer Picnic 2019 @ Burgess Park
- NOW that’s what I call PRIDE @ Karaoke Hole
- Debbie does Pride 2019 @ The Eagle
- Homodrop x Traición @ Dalston Superstore
- Club Kali Birthday Party with Pride @ Jerusalem Bar & Kitchen
- Sodom & Begorrah: Pride Sandwich @ The Glory (downstairs)
- The Glory’s Pride Party @ The Glory (upstairs)
- Adonis Pride @ The Cause
- Mariah & Friendz: Pride! @ BGWMC
Sunday 7 July
- UK Black Pride 2019 @ Haggerston Park
- S H A M E ! : The Brunch @ Dalston Superstore
- Horse Meat Disco @ The Eagle
Fabulous August Bank Holiday weekend parties in London
Check back here for an update in early August!
Fabulous exhibitions in London this summer
- Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams @ V&A ~ until 14th July 2019. See what I thought.
- Summer Exhibition @ Royal Academy ~ until 12 August 2019. See what I thought.
- Queer Spaces: London, 1980s – Today @ Whitechapel Gallery ~ 25 August 2019
- Lee Krasner: In Living Colour @ Barbican ~ until 1 September 2019. See what I thought.
- Kiss My Genders @ Hayward Gallery ~ 8 September 2019
- Cindy Sherman retrospective ~ until 15 September 2019
- Olafur Eliasson @ Tate Modern ~ 11 July 2019 – 5 January 2020
Fabulous theatre and live performance in London this summer
- Magic Mike Live! @ Hippodrome Casino
- Afterglow @ Southwark Playhouse ~ until 20 July 2019
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream @ Open Air Theatre Regents Park ~ 28 June – 27 July 2019
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream (starring Gwendoline Christie from Game of Thrones) @ Bridge Theatre ~ 3 June – 31 August 2019
- Seven methods of killing Kylie Jenner @ Royal Court Theatre ~ 4 – 27 July 2019
- Jean Paul Gaultier: Fashion Freak Show @ Queen Elizabeth Hall ~ 23 July – 2 August 2019
- Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet @ Sadler’s Wells ~ 7 – 31 August 2019
Fabulous musicals in London this summer
- Tina: The Musical @ Aldwych Theatre
- 9 to 5 the Musical @ Savoy Theatre
- Everybody’s Talking About Jamie @ Apollo Theatre ~ till 28th September 2019
- Wicked @ Apollo Victoria
- Mamma Mia @ Novello Theatre
Fabulous open-air cinemas in London this summer
- Summer Film Nights (showing Little Shop of Horrors and Chicago) @ Southbank Centre ~ 24 July-21 August 2019
- Rooftop Film Club (showing Death Becomes Her and Spiceworld) @ Peckham, Shoreditch and Stratford ~ till 31 July 2019
- Film 4 Summer Screen (showing Clueless and The Piano) @ Somerset House ~ 8 – 20 August 2019
- The Nomad Cinema (showing The Favourite and Some Like It Hot) @ 16 locations across London ~ 18 June – 7 September 2019
- L.A. Nights – Backyard Cinema (showing Mamma Mia and Pretty Woman) @ Roundhouse, Camden ~ 18 July – 17 August 2019
Pin this guide for later!